Support UNICEF's relief efforts in Myanmar
                                  Google

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Google Personalized... But I am not biting!

Google Personalized... But I am not biting!

Google launched the personalized Home Page today. Google users can now decide what they would like to see on their Home Page - Gmail, BBC News, NYT, Weather, Stock, Quotes, etc.

TECH - Google Personalized

I tried it to see what it gives me, but only for the duration of this post. As with the now discontinued Google Web Accelerator, I don't want Google to know what I am looking up on the web.

This is just another way for Google to gather rich data on query patterns tied to specific users. IMHO, they are reworking their Web Accelerator ploy here but restricting the info-gathering to the content presented on the Home Page. Google will now know the searches a specific user makes, the type of news articles, stocks, etc they are interested in. Also the data sources of interest, the preferred priority to each of these, etc. That is a lot of clickographic and demographic data. Good try Google, but I am not biting! Of course, this does not stop them from co-relating from my Gmail cookies, but I don't plan on making it any easier for them! :D

2 Comments:

At Fri May 20, 04:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm i wonder what will they do in the IM arena

 
At Thu Jun 30, 01:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'info gathering'?

The only info they can get from that page is that I read slashdot, gMail and the quote of the day. That's not worth the tinfoil hat to me. They get a lot more useful info by looking at what people search for in the regular engine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


   Copyright 2005
Subscribe to Passing Clouds on your cell phone